Hradčanské nám. 15
118 00 Prague 1
tel. 02/20 51 45 99, ext. 61, 65
The Society of Friends of the National Gallery in Prague (SPNG) was established on 24 August 1992 as an independent organisation registered with the Ministry of the Interior (Identification number: 47607068). The society was founded without government subsidy, and is the successor of one of the first such societies of its kind: the Society of Patriotic Friends of Art, which was established in 1796. This earlier society established Prague's first public picture gallery, which later gave birth to the National Gallery in Prague. In its somewhat short lifetime, the SPNG has acquired a numerous membership base, which has continued to grow in the past few years. It also has approximately 200 active foreign "friends". The SPNG joined the World Federation of Friends of Museums (WFFM) in 1998, becoming the first and thus far the only WFFM member from a post-communist country, and was chosen to organise the organisation's international committee meeting in Prague in 2000.
Benefits for members of the SPNG primarily include free of charge admission to all permanent and temporary NG exhibitions and the opportunity to attend lectures, professional guided tours of selected exhibitions and to participate in other activities, about which members are informed twice a year in an informational newsletter. Members in good standing are invited to an annual meeting of members, where they can learn about the economic position, budget and planned future activities.
Annual contributions according to type of membership: USD 50 - Friend, USD 100 - Special Friend, and USD 500 and more - VIP Friend. Membership is valid for one calendar year and applications are available at information desks and ticket offices of all the permanent exhibitions of the NG in Prague or by writing to: SPNG, Hradčanské nám. 15, 118 00 Prague 1.